Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog #3- Preventive Practices

Completing the self-assessment of my preventive practices only reinforced what I already knew about myself. I do not utilize enough preventive practices. The basic primary preventions such as nutrition and physical activity (Alexander, LaRosa, Bader, Garfield, & Alexander, 2010) are some of the most difficult to manage. Time management is a huge contributor to these practices. As many in the class can probably attest too, it is difficult with school, work, and life to find time for exercises and cooking a nutritious meal.  There are too many things to accomplish in one day.

I find it odd that the last question, of 10 total, dealt with regular check-ups.  It is crucial, in my opinion, for us to maintain that basic level of care with our healthcare team.  Yes, it is hard to get yearly gynecological check ups and even teeth cleanings, but they are vital in early detection of cancers.  I work in a cancer institution.  The importances of these check-ups become forefront in your mind when you see everyday the benefits and consequences of participating or not participating in check-ups.

On a positive note, I currently implement SOME practices!  I use laughter as stress relief.  I believe in teaching mature conflict resolution.  I am constantly attempting to teach my nephews other ways in which to hand conflict.  With regards to prevention of accidents, I am sure most of us practice these because it is law! We have to wear our seatbelts. With motorcycles, I do not own one and have never ridden in one.  I cannot believe all of the motorcycle drivers I have seen since I moved to Texas without helmets on!! It is a law in Mississippi (where I am from). Motorcyclists must wear helmets. Working as a therapist I have seen too many accidents involving brain injuries that could have been prevented with the use of a helmet.  But, I guess we all have areas in which we could decrease our risky behaviors.

Alexander, L. L., LaRosa, J.H., Bader, H., Garfield, S., & Alexander, W. J. (2010). New Dimensions in Women’s Health. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment