When it comes to eating healthy and exercising regularly, I have a difficult time. Eating healthy is difficult for me because it is so easy to go pick up dinner from a fast food place than to come home and cook. My commute to/from work takes an hour each way. So by the time a work an 8+ hour day and drive two hours, I am looking at a minimum of a 10 hour day. Who has the energy to cook, much less work out, after a day that long? I am in the process of finding an apartment closer to work so that should help with my lack of time. My apartment complex has a gym, however there is only 1 treadmill and someone is always on it. On a positive note, my work just opened a free gym to employees. Hopefully after I move closer, I will have more energy to go workout before or after work. I have over the past month, been exercises 1-2 times a week. I would like to increase that to 3-4 times. I feel when my commute is cut way down I will have more energy and time to increase the number sessions per week.
Over the next 5 years, I see my challenges only increasing for working out. Marriage and kids are in my 5 year plan and that comes with it's own set of time challenges. I hope to have developed fairly sensible eating habits (rather than eating out so much) that I can carry over to my kids. I do not want my children to have to deal with food issues as I have. I want to teach them to eat healthy from the start.
My goal is to just find a workout routine and stick with it and maybe no matter the obstacles with time management I face, I'll be able to continue the routine.
Hi Kerri! I have a friend who has to drive an hour to and from work everyday and she is just absolutely exhausted! I do however have some insight for you. First... cooking can be a way to relax! When you prepare a dish (sometimes it takes only 20 minutes) you will find the excitment in making something delicious and then you can show it to your friends and family. Also, think about things that arent too hard to cook and make a lot of it. The reason for this is that on days where you dont want to cook or order fast food, you can take your extra food (in which you can store in the freezer) and heat it up in the microwave or oven. Its homemade food made fast. Also dont be afraid to try new recipes on the weekend when you do have time. Second, I think finding a place close should be your number one priority. If thats what needs to be done to help you stay active, do it and do it soon. You deserve it! You deserve to have 30 minutes a day to yourself to do something relaxing or fun. Take those first steps in cooking though... then when you get a place, take the time to find something you enjoy. Running and the gym is not for everyone and sometimes joining a yoga class or a tennis club is just what you were looking for all along. Good luck with that and if you ever need any quick recipes, there is a Campbell's cook book I have that has like 15-20 minute recipes (you can find this pretty much anywhere) that are really good! I also a few of my own if you ever want to try something new!
ReplyDeleteSara Abbasi
Kerri,
ReplyDeleteYou know it seems like every time we try to improve ourselves someone or something is always in the way. But we have to make an effort to stay healthy because all the hard work we put into our jobs and even school work will be pointless if we are not around to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Maybe if you can force yourself to wake up a little bit earlier before you have to leave for work, and do a quick 25 minute workout, you could start to condition yourself to continue to wake up early and earlier and workout longer. At that point it will not matter how early you woke up, but because you worked out before, you will have more energy throughout the day and feel much better about yourself; I know I speak from experience. You will also lower your chances of developing life threating health problems " Women who exercise just an hour per week or more are 33% less likely to die from cancer, 50% less likely to die from cardiovascular disease, and 66% less likely to die early than woman who do not exercise" (Jones & Barlett, Pg. 239). So I hope that whatever you choice to do that you stick with it.
Good Luck,
Kitara Wright
Exercising time is very hard especially if your schedule is very hectic and you don't have a place to exercise, you can do some quick and not space consuming in your apartment. Midland Michigan Apartments | Midland Michigan Apartments
ReplyDelete