As a woman, every time I step out of my door at night to walk to my car, I think am I safe? It is a constant fear many women face. There are steps women can do to reduce their risk for assault. One thing women can do is be aware of their surroundings. When walking to your car or to your door know who or what is around. We should always call security to walk us to our cars if leaving a location after dark. When parking, women should chose a well lit area, close to the entrance for safety. People may say women should not dress provocatively, but that is saying it is the women's fault they are being attacked. Women should be able to dress however they choose, but be aware of their environment for safety. Women should always leave a location after dark in groups of two or more. When at a bar, women should never put their drink down and take their eyes off of it; someone may put something in it. Education, as with every blog I have posted, is key. Knowing things to look for in environment (making sure a van is not parked next to your car) and taking self defense courses to increase confidence are ways women can educate themselves.
kerri-
ReplyDeleteI know that feeling of fear when walking to my car at night! I think I'm pretty aware of my surroundings. I always have keys and cell phone in hand, just in case. I always try to park under a light if I know I'll be out after dark. I'm not sure on the clothing. I think if someone is going to attack you, they probably don't care what you're wearing, they'll attack you no matter what. Once I get in my car, I always lock the door and turn on the light to look in the backseat to make sure no one or nothing is back there. I'm so paranoid! haha
Thanks for a great post!
Courtney
Hey Kerri,
ReplyDeleteI couldn’t agree with your blog more. I feel that all of the issues that you presented are worries and fears that a lot of women have. I know I am always a little more cautious when I am walking to my car after work when it's already dark. Being aware of your surrounding and having your keys out and ready are great ways at reducing a woman’s risk of assault. I think women should embrace taking self defense classes because it will help educate women on the warning signs, give insight on what to look for, as well as prepare women on what to do if put in that kind of situation. No women deserves to be a target of assault but having the tools and being prepared for the situations that may present themselves is key in protecting yourself. Great job on your blog!
-Brittany LeBron