My main health concern centers on nutrition and exercise. I only know a handful of people who truly exercises regularly and eat correctly. Americans, myself included, do not know proper nutrition. We have no idea proper portion control or how many vegetables we are really supposed to eat a day. The kids get French fries and pizza for lunch at schools and if we did give them healthier options, would they eat it? Probably not since most wouldn't know a vegetable if they saw one because we aren't giving providing them in the home. And please understanding, I am including myself. With the preventable disease that are running rampant in the country, I still can't seem to muster up the willpower to put the television remote down and exercise. Maybe this course will help motivate me!
I interviewed a friend whose family is from Pakistan. Her main health concern was diabetes and heart disease. These two diseases are found in very close relatives of her (i.e. father and sister). She voiced concern that she, too, might one day develop one or both of these issues.
The second friend I interviewed is from India. Her main concern deals with an irregular menstrual cycle. Her desire, and her familial expectations, is for her to marry and have children. With her menstrual issues, her concern is not being able to provide her future husband with children, especially as she is in her early 30s and not yet married.
The two friends interviewed are healthy, young women. Who, in spite of their great health, are still, true to our nature as women, worried/concerned with their health.
I would have to agree with you on children not knowing what vegetables are. I see it in my family. I do not have children of my own, but I do have a 23 year old step son and he himself has poor eating habits. I also have a handful of young cousins and my nephew is 8. They do not eat vegetables. Their diets consist of pizza, chicken nuggets, and fries. I am pretty sure what helps them not be over weight is that they play sports. I get onto my sister and aunt all the time and tell them that even though they are not over weight as they get older it might effect their cholestoral level and even be at risk for juvenile diabetes.
ReplyDeleteEating habits start at home and I think with the world running so fast these days that it is just easier to stop at a fast food restaurant and grab something to go. Not many families enjoy home cooked meals or dinner time around the table. I do agree as Americans we do not take the time to educate ourselves on proper nutrition.