Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blog 6- Surrogate Mothers

Surrogate mothers assist couples who are facing infertility.  These women provide not only their bodies to carry the babies but their egg for fertilization as well.  Their egg is combined with the sperm from the man of the infertile couple.  They carry the baby and after delivery, give the baby to the infertile couple (Alexander, LaRosa, Bader, Garfield, Alexander, 2010).  In the video, Professional Surrogates, a couple and their surrogate was followed (Fox News WB 56, 2006).  The professional surrogate provides services as a job.  She has her own children and in an effort to provide for them financial, provides children for women who cannot provide for themselves.  It is amazing the monetary compensation these couples must provide.  They not only are paying for the medical expenses but from my understanding, an addition approximately $35,000.  That is an enormous cost!  The surrogate, according to the video, receives about half of that amount.

If a woman has the emotional strength to carry a baby for 40 weeks, give birth and then give the child away in order to help another family, I find that admirable.  I personally would not be able to emotionally handle it.  It was interesting to see how involved she appeared to be with the family and child.  I imagine that must be difficult. However, in the interview, she, the surrogate, says very matter of fact that is not her child.  Maybe that is her way of separating herself from the child she has carried for so long in order to avoid an emotional connection so she does not have a difficult time giving it away.  It is wonderful there are women who are able to provide such a special gift to families who are unable to have children on their own.  It is truly a precious gift. 

Alexander, L. L., LaRosa, J. H., Bader, H., Garfield, S., Alexander, W. J. (2010). New Dimensions in Women's Health. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

Fox News WB 56 (Producer). (2006). Professional Surrogates Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJXO9T0u3Y

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I too found the video about surrogate mothers interesting. I did not realize the baby was produced using the surrogate's egg. I wonder what the reprecussions will be when these surrogate children are older. I know many adopted children have an intense need to know and understand their biological parents, so I wonder what research will show about the pschological needs of these children.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I enjoy reading about surrogacy. I have thought becoming a surrogate. One of my best friend's is unable to have children. She was born without a uterus, so it is physically impossible for her to have a child. She and her husband would be great parents. I would have been honored to give them this very precious gift. Part of it was so she could experience it all with me and be pretty involved in it all instead of with a stranger who might live far away. Plus, I could watch the child grow up and enjoy him/her with my friends. They were lucky enough to adopt a child a few months ago. They are extremely happy.

    ReplyDelete